Sony tech - The A7RV menu system

Banner for a walkthrough of the A7RV's menu system on Youtube

For those who have received their Sony A7RV camera and are new to the Sony ecosystem or who want to find some of the new features hidden in the menu of this 61MP-behemoth with it's extra AI Autofocussing processor (yes, that makes 3 processors inside 1 camera) I'm doing a walkthough. There will be some real-life samples with cats, cows, fighterjets & horses, some things you probably already know and best of all: 40 minutes of my hoarse bronchitis-stricken voice. Enjoy.

The Youtube video:

Some of the items touched in this video:
Auto ISO minimum shutter speed, different AF options, setting up the Fn/favorites menu & buttons, 1 button tracking, 1 button APS-C/Super35 mode, Clear image zoom, saving your camera settings, using your cellphone as a remote, ..

Sample images made with A7RV (mostly made before there was any RAW-support)

Banner for an upcoming Youtube video on Focus stacking in the Sony A7RV

On the focus stacking feature (or Focus bracketing, as Sony calls it) I've made an additional video. A quick guide to Focus Stacking with the A7RV means that I'll show you how to activate this function on the camera and what post-processing steps are needed.

The Youtube video:

Is this a camera for me?
►► Dynamic range? Absolutely. (Eventhough I'm still waiting for the Adobe RAW-update so judging JPG's - UPDATE - The Adobe RAW-update for FX30 & A7RV has been added)
►► AI Autofocus? Just waw (Eventhough the A1-tracking is stickier)
►► Feel of the body? Every extra millimeter makes it feel better in my hands.
►► Ease of working? I'm so used to the ecosystem now that everything seems logical.. yet dear Sony engineers: Those abreviations & some of the places where functions are hidden in the menu remain weird.
►► The megapixels? 61Mp is too much for me. Eventhough I enjoy switching it to APS-C (26Mp).
►► Weather-sealing? It came in very handy and worked in some though conditions when paired with new GMaster lenses.
►► Using it with vintage lenses? It works fine for stills with the LA-EA5 adapter but those old lenses just can't keep up with the details of this camera. (More info on adapters)

►► Summarized: A wonderful new beast with yet another leap forward in tech, however I'll wait till it this tech gets implemented in cameras with less megapixels.

► Answering a request in the Youtube comment section, I've uploaded these 2 sets of screencaptures below.

►► My favorites menu layout

My layout for the A7RV Favorites Menu (for the YT video)

►► My button & Fn-menu layout

My button & Fn-menu layout for the A7RV (for the YT video)

►► These are my preferences, adapted to my current workflow. When my workflow changes or the things I shoot change, so will my preferences. If you take these as a blueprint for your layout, make sure to finetune & adapt them to your own workflow & preferences.

More Sony tech & how to? articles.

A link to this article: http://tinyurl.com/A7RVmenu









Populaire posts van deze blog

Sony tech - Using A-mount lenses on E-mount cameras

Landscape - Le Massif Central

Sony tech - Using APS-C mode on Full Frame cameras

Sony tech - Updating your camera firmware

Event - Trolls et Légendes (2024)

The making of a Fire video Masterclass

Sony tech - 10 features of the ZV-E1 that I really like

Event - Winter in Pairi Daiza

Event - FACTS convention